CMR – History
As one of the top private universities in Karnataka, CMR Group of Institutions has come a long way. The growth has been phenomenal from a humble start in 1990 as a small Kindergarten School in the guava orchid under the name ‘National Junior School’ to a private university. Our Chairman, Mr K. C. Ramamurthy’s [IPS (Retired), MP Rajyasabha] guidance and support have been instrumental in this tremendous growth. Borrowing from his rich decades of experience in education and public service, the CMR Group of Institutions (CMRGRI) has instilled values of integration by providing diverse programs, courses, and educational opportunities to thousands of students.
In 1996, the CMRGRI added the CMR Institute of Management studies to its umbrella, followed by CMR National PU College in 1999 and the CMR Institute of Technology (CMRIT) in 2000. In 2003-2007, the group added a nursing college, physiotherapy college, law college, centre for media studies, and teacher training institutes.
In 2008, the inauguration of NPS International happened in Singapore, successfully providing equal educational opportunities across the globe. In 2011-2012, our Chairman’s daughter, Dr Tristha Ramamurthy, – Provost & Vice-Chancellor i/c, CMR University, started Ekya Schools. With a diverse international and Indian education, she started Ekya to create a community of learners, thinkers, doers, and changemakers.
CMR University, one of the best colleges in Bangalore, was established in 2013. From then on until 2022, the CMRGRI has started the School of Architecture, Economics and Commerce, Social Studies and Humanities, School of Science studies, School of Education and School of Design.
CMR – Vision, Mission, and the Idea:
As the famous saying goes,
‘Like Father; Like son.’
Our Chairman also believed that every individual deserves access to quality education, irrespective of caste, creed, and nationality. He is among the twelve sons of the great Educationalist and philanthropist Sri. Chikka Muniyappa Reddy. CMR stands for Chikka Muniyappa Reddy. A trust under the name CMR Jnanadhara was started as a homage to Sri. Chikka Muniyappa Reddy. Mr K. C. Ramamurthy, our Chairman, named the college CMR in honour of his father, Sri. Chikka Muniyappa Reddy. The visionary’s views and trust are the biggest support to the CMR Group of Institutions.
CMR Group of Institutions comprises 24 institutions, including CMR National Public School, Ekya Schools, CMR National PU College, CMR University, and CMR Institute of technology. The group offers over 80 academic programmes for over 18000 students. The CMRGRI has Montessori level, K-12 schools to post-graduate and Doctoral programmes.
CMRGRI strives to give the best education using modern tools and techniques. We aspire to help our students understand their core competencies and how they can be channelled into a career path from the secondary level. Our CMR NPS and Ekya schools have their curriculum until the 8th grade, which is on par with the international standards. Our curriculum focuses on creating learners and inquisitive personalities. Our faculty across all the institutions understand the students and their uniqueness to help them groove themselves for a better future. We believe in helping the students to practise the art of learning instead of teaching them what to learn; with our beliefs and the support of our eminent leaders, we aim to foster a community of leaders, thinkers, doers, and changemakers.
We ensure that the students get adequate exposure, whether in school or college. With just the textbook knowledge, students can only explore to a certain extent. CMRGRI organises several workshops, events, and other knowledge-sharing sessions by industry experts.
CMRU is one of the top private universities in Karnataka. CMRU focuses on nurturing creative thinkers to drive positive change. We also aim for our students to be well-versed in skills to distinguish between wrong, good and evil. Our logo – Flying swan, is a story about water mixed milk and pure unadulterated milk.
With over 24000 students, the university campus is spread over 60 acres on a lakefront site in north Bangalore. The campus has state-of-the-art infrastructure facilities, a learned faculty team and a residential block for staff and students. We also have dedicated cultural activities and auditorium spaces to accommodate larger audiences. The university also has a campus in the OMBR layout.
A few of the awards and accolades of CMRU are:
- CMR University Bengaluru awarded “Emerging University of the Year” by ASSOCHAM, New Delhi
- Approval of Membership with Assocham
- 3rd Amongst Top Eminent Law Schools in India By Competition Review CSR – GHRDC
- 6th Among Best State Private Universities & South Zone By IIRF
- 8th in Karnataka, by Education World India Higher Education Ranking
- 12th Amongst 33 Top Law Schools in India 2021 By Outlook
- Ranked 15th across India by R World Institutional Ranking in the MHW Ranking 2022 for excellence in up-keeping well-being of faculty, staff, and students
- Best University in South India 2022 by Centre for Education Growth and Research
- 15th Amongst Universities of eminence Top 100 private University (Overall) By IIRF
- 24th Best Private Law College in India The Week
- Ranked 40th across India in 2022, amongst the Institutes of Excellence towards offering Holistic Education by R World Institutional Ranking
- Placed Amongst the Top 10 Institutions at the Education World India Higher Education Grand Jury Awards 2022-23
- 5-star ratings” by Artificial Intelligence Registration and Certification, U.K., and is now one of the “Best Places to Work” in 2022.
- Best University in India for Industry Interface – 2022, By Centre for Education
- Growth and Research
- Best Performance in Organisational Management & Academics Management by the International Accreditation Organisation, USA.
- CEGR Award 2021
- CEGR Award 2021
- CEGR Award April 2022
- Assessment and Registration by Veritas Assurance International as conforming to the requirements of ISO 9001:2015 Quality Management System
- Assessment and Registration by Veritas Assurance International as conforming to the requirements of ISO 14001:2015 Environmental Management System
- Assessment and Registration by Veritas Assurance International as conforming to the requirements of ISO/IEC 27001:2013 Information Security Management System
- Assessment and Registration by Veritas Assurance International as conforming to the requirements of ISO 22000:2018 Food Safety Management System
- CMR University, School of Management, is an Institutional Member of the Association of Management Development Institutions in South Asia
- Elected as a Life Organisational Member at the Institution of Electronics and Telecommunication Engineers